Ten Must Reads on Software Engineering
In my career transition from individual contributor to senior engineering leader, I have realised that keeping abreast of technology, putting your team first, and having solid architectural foundations make or break any I.T. professional.
This e-book contains a selection of my best essays on several software engineering topics, with different spin-offs, unique viewpoints, and even tips and tricks that unlocked my career.
My hope is that these essays help you too.
What's in the book
The Technical Wisdom e-book is a 60-page collection of 10+1 essays on three essential subjects that every I.T. professional should be concerned with, containing timeless advice which will be relevant regardless of an ever-changing technology environment.
Here is what is included:
- Part ➊ - On Life Long Learning
- Tangible ways Software Engineers can preserve their longevity and improve their employability by up-skilling.
- Strategies on how to study and learn complex I.T. concepts.
- Reasons why programming is a form of art.
- Part ➋ - On Technical Leadership
- Transitioning from Developer to Tech Lead and excelling in the new role.
- A broad set of skills and behaviours an Engineering Leader needs to demonstrate to succeed in their career.
- Drivers to retain a high-performant Engineering Team content and committed.
- Part ➌ - On Architecture
- Must-know software architecture patterns: a primer on their common use cases and strengths/weaknesses.
- Key architectural principles that gear towards designing clean, maintainable applications.
- Essential qualitative requirements to keep in mind when designing an application.
- Proven design patterns architects should grasp and recognise to increase the quality and accessibility of the architected solution.
- A curated list of empirical I.T. laws for your amusement and/or edification.
About the author
Hello! My name is Semi Koen. I am a Senior Engineering Leader, Technologist, and Technical Author.
I have almost 20 years of experience in the tech industry: after studying Computer Science, I started my career as a Developer, and have since progressed to Senior Developer, Technical Lead, Architect, Engineering Manager and Engineering Director. I am now an Engineering Executive Director at a Japanese Securities Bank.
I help companies define and deliver a strategic technology vision and Software Engineers accelerate their career growth.
Technical Wisdom | Ten Must Reads on Software Engineering